Thursday, July 12, 2012

Where does your fulfillment come from?


I swore I wouldn't be one of those women who "punished" my husband for a bad dream I had after all, my husband has no control over my imagination. But I found myself at his work for lunchtime shrugging at his questions and answering in yes' and no's with no elaborations. When he simply asks, "whats wrong today?" My response is long and drawn-out with excuse after excuse after excuse. Sometimes my dreams have deep meaning and sometimes they mean I ate too many cookies before bed. The latter was the case this time. 

But was there a deeper meaning behind this sudden "why can't you make me happy" attitude? You see, my excuses were, "when I get this, I'll be happy," and "when this happens, it'll be better." You may be able to read this and diagnose my problem right away, but in the thick of it, I couldn't see or understand what exactly my problem was.


After much contemplation I realized my husband couldn't fulfill me. Nor should he. I know how God feels about me: Ephesians 1:4-5 says,
"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will-"

So, I should know and believe that my fulfillment comes not from my husband or the place I live or the phase my children are in, but in Christ alone!

John 1:12-13
"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God- children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."

With my tail between my legs, I asked for forgiveness and thankfully my husband is gracious.
So where do we go from here?
Colossians 3:12 says,
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
AND
"The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever-do not abandon the works of your hands". Psalm138:8

I love my husband and am very happy with my man but these are my reminders that only God can fill my heart with joy and give me true fulfillment!


No comments:

Post a Comment